Thursday, November 8, 2012

Birth Story

I can't believe it has been 8 weeks already since we had these babies. I had been updating on my agencies forum and didn't realize I completely missed updating here. Here is my last belly picture at 37 weeks:
09/13 1:45p.m. Dilated to a 4. Waiting on the doctor to break the first bag of water. Epidural in place. Guys are super excited but it is nice they aren't impatient about how long it will take. The epidural did take a couple of tries and I had a scare but all has calmed down and I'm much better now and looking forward to introducing the babies to their daddies. We just got the ok that both dads can be in the operating room for the delivery with my husband which is big news! After I posted this the doctor came in about 3:30p.m. to break my water. I think I was still at a 4 or 5. After that things really started moving. The doctor checked me again and I was at a 7 so they decided to move us to the operating room. The guys and my husband got on their fancy scrubs, took lots of pictures of themselves and then we got moving. I was worried that the operating room would be less personal and intimidating but knew it was a necessity with twins. While it was when we first arrived, such a bright steril room we were soon surrounded by about 10 of the most excited nurses and doctors that it was a great experience. The worse part was when they moved me to the other bed, my husband was holding my leg and put it down without paying attention (he forgot I was completely numb) and it dropped off the side of the bed banging around as it went:) It is nice to have something to hold over him...remember that time... anyway then they moved me and they couldn't figure out the other bed and they had me turned on my side, 5 people holding me and I kept thinking I was going to fall (after all my leg had already taken a tumble). Once that was sorted out we got moving. At first the guys stayed against the wall nervous and out of the way but once I started pushing they were right there encouraging me on and of course my husband was my rock through the entire thing. It took about 3 pushes and baby A was born at 5:17p.m. weighing 5lbs1oz. Then baby B started having trouble with low heartrate caused by the cord being tangled so even though my contractions hadn't started back up we got to work. I was not going to have a C-Section after making it this far so I pushed with everything I had and with the help of our amazing doctor and my husband coaching me through baby B was out by 5:31p.m. at 6lbs1oz. Suddenly the guys had the whole operating room crying because they just were in such disbelief that everything they had been waiting for was right in front of them. Also they had talked one of the operating room nurses to become their film crew so they were able to get the whole thing recorded (except my parts I didn't want to disclose) and she stayed with them for about an hour after the birth:) After that we went back to our room exhausted and happy and ready to eat. The guys requested a room right across the hall and got to work being parents.

1 comment: