Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Birth story part 2

09/13 9:08p.m.
My first nurse after the babies were born wanted to bring them straight into my room, give them a bath and everything. We said no, they should go to the guys room. Then she wanted me to make all the decisions with shots and stuff. My husband finally took her aside and said look,they are the parents, please don't bother my wife with this stuff. She was very nice but just didn't quite get it. After he talked to her it was like a light bulb went on.
Other than some confusion on where the babies go after the birth the hospital staff were amazing. Everyone loved coming in and talking to us and asking questions and getting to know the dads. The dads were in our room as much as I was up for. I have to admit I enjoyed my little break from the kids at home to recuperate and enjoy some alone time with my husband. It was such a bonding experience for us which we didn't expect but enjoyed every moment. It was great to focus on us and talk and laugh and lock ourselves away together for a little while. I really loved seeing the babies with their dads but I didn't really need to see or hold the babies for me. I have my own babies. It is kind of like visiting a friend that just gave birth. You are so excited to see them together but you don't want to take the baby away.
09/15 12:08p.m.
Getting ready to go home from the hospital. Babies were just circumcised. Eating some lunch and then we will have our entourage moved home. The guys are staying with us until they leave Wednesday morning. I think it will be fun to have the kids interact with the babies before they go. The IF's mother that is here is staying at a hotel so she comes for the afternoon and then goes back. The guys are loving every second of babies and also enjoyed their sleep both nights with babies in the nursery so tonight at home will be their first full 24 hours. Wish them luck:)
09/19 10:42a.m.
The guys are furiously packing while my husband and I are relaxing. We had a wonderful last night, planted a tree together, amazing family time with all our family plus theirs. But we are ready to relax and get back to normal. I think them staying with us was really nice, we felt like we have had plenty of time together and got to help them. But we know they are very ready to introduce the boys to their life back home and we are very happy for them. The hospital staff was amazing and made us feel very welcome. It was much easier and more natural than I thought. We are so lucky to have been a part of making this family.
09/23 5:09p.m.
I put on 47 pounds for this pregnancy and all but 9 pounds are gone so far. This cold, as terrible as it has been has probably helped that also. But it is very nice to fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes and will make going back to work so much easier. I was so worried about how I would feel about myself post pregnancy without any babies to lug around and blame :) but so far so good!
10/22 11:24a.m.
I returned to work at 4 weeks after delivery. I could have gone sooner but didn't want to rush it because of the horrible cold/flu I got. Work was great, they had someone fill my job as a temp so there was no pressure to come back except the pressure I put on myself. It was nice to get back and feel comfortable that everyone was ok with me being gone. We get pictures almost daily from the guys and they call every few days. It is great to see and hear the happiness we were lucky enough to be a part of creating. My husband and I are talking about doing this again:)
Today
Post pregnancy is much easier than I expected. That was the part I was most concerned about going in. I really noticied getting my body back, appreciating sleeping on my stomach, time with my kids, sleeping through the night. I have to say the road to a quick recovery is sleep. I could have gone back to work after a week or two if I had to. It is a lot easier recovering after a surro pregnancy. And I'm loving updates and pictures of the babies but I appreciate not having all that work!!!
Everything about this experience has been amazing. We have what is sure to be a lifelong friendship with our new extended family.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! What a nice recap. I appreciate what you said about it being like when you visit a friend with a baby, you really don't want to hold their infant then. Nice perspective.

    ReplyDelete